Monday 8 February 2010

Ten top tips to close down creativity



Many of the people I work with in organisations are under immense pressure to perform miracles. Too much to be done in the allocated time. Unrealistic understanding of the real work and time involved. Expectations that they should be innovative, inspirational, creative, confident and competent - all of the time.


With the pressure so creativity declines. That's why the Saturday afternoon workshops; Clear Mind. Clear Body as well as the writers' events are so popular.
Stop for a moment to consider how your creativity suffers. Here are some of the ways I get in my own way.


  1. Get too tired. Know that feeling of working late when you should be relaxing and winding down?


  2. Eat sugar. Drink caffeine. How did I get tempted by coffee and a biscuit instead of water and fruit?

  3. Take on extra work. That little word 'no' went missing.

  4. Spend time with energy vampires. Again, I could have said 'no' to that invitation that didn't appeal.


  5. Beat myself up for what I haven't achieved. Why not see the successes?

  6. Compare myself with others. When I know their world is so different to mine.

  7. Worry. About stuff that won't matter later.

  8. Forget to go out and play. How dull is that?

  9. Feel there's no time, so don't get started. Even ten minutes is worth getting started for.

  10. Cut out the clear thinking time. When I know how these moments of space are so important.

I also know how unblock my creativity by turning these situations on their heads. Here's how:


First - Write down how you get in the way of your creativity as I've just done here.


Second - Take each statement in turn, flip it upside down and find the opposite situation.


Third - Identify one thing to do differently.


As an example, my number one of 'Get too tired' flips to 'Get too much rest'. OK, that's unlikely to happen. Yet, one thing I can do differently is to take a lie in or afternoon nap when I feel the tiredness builds. It's really that simple. And it's amazing just how it can feel wonderfully indulgent resting up a bit and how much faster the creativity flows afterwards.











No comments: