Thursday 28 May 2009

From the Cafe at the Water's Edge


Behind the lumps of jagged rocks, layers of turquoise and petrol blue sea ripple over the stones. Ahead, the low-lying mountains dip into the cool sea. Only with time to sit and stare, do I notice the crocodile shape of the landscape.


In such a place, I grow two hours older without question, simply content to absorb the warmth through every pore of my body. The flower be-decked terrace offers gentle shade. The photo reveals a limited shot. Being here in the moment, I appreciate the patient continuity of the sea in motion, framing the busyness of Greek cooks pitting olives and cherries, the blonde young mother exploring rock pools, hand in hand with her lithe, demanding young son.


An old man rides his motorcycle slowly past, his labrador is attached by rope lead and jogs ahead to ensure its morning exercise.


Hungry business, this, sitting and sipping coffee.

2 comments:

Regina said...

Oh, how beautiful, Kate.
I found myself sitting right there with you- wonderful words.
:)

Kate Burton said...

Thank you - I can recommend a week in Paleochora in Greece to slow down and watch the world go by!!